Friday, February 04, 2005

Confidence interval

I was gasping as I sprinted from the library to the university dental clinic. Crikey! I never knew I could dash like roadrunner trying to elude wile e. coyote's evil plans. My endurance against the frigid wind and the slippery, icy road was tested to its limits. I had to hurry because tardiness is one of the greatest taboos in Japan. Two minutes more and I would be late for my dental appointment. I was not treating anybody's dental dilemma this time. It was going to be my mouth that would be subjected to the scrutiny and the holy mercy of the infamous tooth drill (whiiiiiizzzzzzzz!!!! remember the brain whacking sound that made your eyes feel like popping out?). The doctor became the patient this time...... and who says it is not possible?

While in the library, I did not notice the time until I heared one Japanese student say "Ima nanji? (what time is it?)". I was so preoccupied with trying to analyze the "confidence interval" of the research data that I need to present in the US this March. I asked for the help of my sempai (senior) who had difficulty in explaining because obviously, dentists are basically not statisticians. So, I had to rush to the library to study it myself. Well, I still do not fully understand it but I am getting there - hopefully.

I went to the seventh floor of the hospital right after the dental treatment to ask my pretty friend Phiphi about her plans tonight. We agreed to have dinner in a good restaurant with our prim and proper friend, Juan from Argentina . Well, I went once to this traditional yet cozy Japanese restaurant with mouth-watering dishes to satisfy one's craving for authentic asian cuisine. So, there we went and the food was just great! We had mixed japanese herb salad for starters, then aromatic beef soup mixed with tiny slices of selected boiled local root crops followed. Before enjoying the main dish called "taimeshi" or flavored rice topped with steamed fish, we had, well, fish with daikon (giant raddish) marinated in sweet soy sauce stock. It was lovely but we still felt like eating more so we ordered vegetable tempura and chicken barbeque. Yum! really satisfying.

After the hefty dinner, we dropped by my place for a sip of hot chocolate, to chat and to watch a bilingual film in one of the national TV channels. "The mask of Zorro" is showing now and we're having fun watching the antics of Antonio Banderas over and over again. And oh! I will call my cousin Tintin later to greet her a very happy 17th birthday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home