Sunday, February 27, 2005

My english did not work.

Yesterday, Phides, Juan and I went to see a Scottish film entitled "Ratcatcher". The film portrays the life of James, a young boy in Glasgow during the garbage strike in the early 70's. He lacks communication with his family, thus making him search for other sources of comfort and affection. He finds solace in the company of Kenny and Margaret who also live in the government housing project that is greatly affected by the strike. The pile of garbage is not only a sore to the eyes but a great danger to the health of the dwellers too because of rat infestation. The tragic film ends with James drowning in the same canal where he pushed another boy to his death.

It was a nice film or else it could not have been featured in an International Film Festival here in Japan. The only drawback was that my decades of English education became useless. I hardly understood anything that the characters were talking about. I even doubted if they were speaking in English. I have watched other films about Scotland like "Trainspotting" and I very well understood the conversation. Must be the difference between Glasgow and Edinburgh english pronunciation? Nevertheless, I was very interested to understand the film so I followed the story by reading the Japanese subtitles. Good nihonggo practice for me.

This afternoon, I went to buy a digital camera but had second thoughts about my budget so I decided to think more before shelling out 40,000 yen (USD 400) for a new gadget. I need a camera to document my trips here and abroad. Right now, I only have my cellular phone camera (1.32 megapixels, not bad at all) to bring along whenever there are events and sometimes, I regret for not freezing that precious moment in a bigger and clearer picture. I love to look at pictures of the happy moments and reminisce the good times that I spent with my loved ones. Makes me smile and love life more. So, to buy or not to buy? that is the question that I have to answer before I leave for the States. Big problem, yeah? LOL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home