Sunday, March 06, 2005

Off to the US

Tonight, I'll be on my way to the United States. This is my first time to set foot on the land that has given so much opportunities to immigrants. For a lot of Filipinos, the US has always been a dream destination. To date, more than three million Filipinos live there. Most of them are professionals who contribute to the eternal pursuit of the US for freedom and progress. They are also known to be independent, caring and religious.

In one of the recent reports by the University of Hawaii, Filipinos were praised for being industrious and optimistic and recognized as the least poor of all the major ethnic groups in the US. I feel proud that in spite of the odds that Filipinos face when they migrate to another land, they could still very well adapt to all the hardships and emerge successfully in their chosen endeavors. There are successful Filipinos in the field of politics, entertainment, business, sports, beauty and etc. not only in the US but also in other countries where they reside. Of course, other bigger countries like China and India have greater things to talk about but I personally feel that the University of Hawaii report is more important than gaining waves in the international scene.

It is a little ironic that I have known the US since I was a kid but it is only now that I finally get to visit the country. I was planning to cross the Atlantic from Paris to New York five years ago to have a look of the apple state but it did not materialize. Well, I did not have any close friend or family there until two years ago when my aunt-in-law remarried and migrated there with my first cousins. And getting a US visa is a tedious task that does not only require money but time, effort and giving up your privacy.

My main purpose this time is to attend an international conference as a presenter so I finally decided to get a visa and visit the country. I am really looking forward to being there and experiencing its diverse culture. This is a good break to a rather homogenous environment that I am in now. I'll be visiting three states. I have already prepared for the trip. I love traveling and meeting people except when my baggage goes to another destination or when I feel sick because of jet-lag. Otherwise, I am always in awe and mirth during the entire trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home